Primo EM172 Microphone Capsule
The Primo EM172 is no longer manufactured. The direct replacement is the new Primo EM272 capsule which has an almost identical specification. Click here for our new EM272 page
** The EM172 is no longer manufactured and is replaced by the Primo EM272 **
This page is maintained for purely information
- Omni directional (non-directional)
- Signal to Noise ratio 80dB (Self Noise 14dBA)
- Sensitivity -28 dB (+/- 3dB at 1kHz, 0dB=1V/Pa)
- Operating Voltage 3 V (2-10 V)
- Maximum input Sound Pressure Level 119 dB
Ultra low noise - High Sensitivity - Wide Dynamic range - Omni Directional *Available as single capsules, matched pairs (2) or 4 matched
Superb quality electret condenser mic capsule, its extraordinarily low noise and high sensitivity makes this ideal for recording nature sounds, backgrounds and ambience.
"it’s an amazing little mic. Some people write it off as it’s so cheap. Having now spent many £1,000s on various Schoeps and Sennheiser mics, I really do appreciate the amazing value for money that the little EM172's give." R.Y, Cambridge, UK.
Primo EM 172 Data sheet
- Jonathan Green - DIY miniature omnis
- Kathy Hinde - Tipping Point
- Zach Poff - Low noise binaural mics
- Pete Kelly - Igneis Flame UK based ambient music artist
Should I use an EM172-Z1 or EM173?
The EM172-Z1 and EM173 are physically identical, they share the same housing and diaphragm.
- The EM172 has a 2 wire connection and is the easiest to use, it can be wired directly directly to most domestic recorders which have 3.5 mm microphone sockets and supply plug in power.
- The EM173 has a 3 wire connection, its the 3 wire version of the EM172. It has no internal resistor from the source to ground, if you add a 100 ohm resistor between source and ground on the EM173 its identical to the EM172, of course you can select a higher value for less sensitivity.
- These electret capsules have solder pads for electrical connection.
- The FET is mounted within the case and can be damaged by overheating or over voltage.
- We recommend use of a low power or temperature controlled soldering iron (for instance 18 watts) and to keep contact of the iron to the pad as brief as possible.
- Please see our brief video demonstrating the ideal way to solder these capsules Soldering Primo EM172 Capsules
- We also supply the capsules with presoldered wires item FC012 etc
You might also like